Making Judgments ( 6 to 10 ):
APTITUDE QUESTIONS (MAKING JUDGMENTS):
6. Rob is working with a realtor to find a location for the toy store he plans to open in his town. He is looking for a place that is either in, or not too far from, the center of town and one that would attract the right kind of foot traffic.
Which of the following locations should Rob’s realtor call to his attention?
A) A storefront in a new high-rise building near the train station in the center of town whose occupants are mainly young, childless professionals who use the train to commute to their offices each day.
B) A little shop three blocks away from the town’s main street, located across the street from school and next door to a mobile store.
C) A stand alone storefront on a quiet residential street ten blocks away from the town’s center.
D) A storefront in a small strip mall located on the outskirts of town that is also occupied by a pharmacy and a dry cleaner.
Answer: option (B)
In this option it is both near the center of town and in a location (near school and mobile store) where children and their parents are sure to be around. This is the only option that meets both of Rob’s requirements.
7. The neighborhood block association has received many complaints about people knocking on doors and asking for money for an unknown charity organization even though doorto door asking is restricted by local laws. Three residents have provided descriptions of individuals who have come to their door asking for money.
Person1 – is a white woman, 20-25 years old 5’2”, with short brown hair. She was wearing a dark green suit and carrying a leather handbag.
Person2 – is a fair woman, 25-30 years old, 5’10”, with black hair. She was wearing a red top and black pant.
Person3 – is a white woman, approx 22 years old, 5’6”, slight build, with short brown hair. She was wearing a green suit.
Three days after the block association meeting, a resident noticed a woman knocking on doors in the neighborhood and phoned the police to report the illegal activity. This person was described as follows:
Person4 – is a white woman, 23 years old, about 5’9”, with short brown hair. She was carrying a bag and wearing a black suit.
Based on the description, which of the three persons was also likely carried out by Person4?
A) 1, 2 and 3
B) 1, but not 2 and 3
C) 1 and 3, but not 2
D) 1 and 2 but not 3
Answer: option (C)
The person described as 2 has black hair and is much taller than the persons described as 1 and 3. Therefore, choices A and D, which include 2 can be ruled out. Persons 1, 3 and 4 have such similar descriptions that the correct answer is option C
8. Riya, an accomplished baker who is well known for her artistic and elegant wedding cakes, opened a bakery one year ago and is surprised that business has been so slow. A consultant she hired to conduct market research has reported that the local population does not think of her shop as one they would visit on a daily basis but rather a place they’d visit if they were celebrating a special occasion. Which of the following strategies should Riya employ to increase her daily business?
A) Making coupons available that entitles the coupon holder to receive a 35% discount on wedding, anniversary or birthday cakes.
B) Exhibiting at the next Bridal Expo and having pieces of one of her wedding cakes available for tasting.
C) Placing a series of ads in the local newspaper that advertise the wide array of breads.
D) Moving the bakery to the other side of the town.
Answer: option (C)
This is the only option that would motivate people to think of the bakery as a shop they would visit regularly and not just on special occasions.
9. Dr. Gupta has a busy gynecologist practice and she needs a skilled, reliable hygienist to keep things running smoothly. The last two people she hired were recommended by top gynecologist in the area, but they each lasted less than one month. She is now in desperate need of a hygienist who can competently handle the specific challenges of her practice. Which one of the following candidates should Dr. Gupta consider most seriously?
A) Seema has been a hygienist for fifteen years, and her current employer, who is about to retire, says she is the best in the business. The clientele she has worked with consists of some of the wealthiest and most powerful citizens in the county.
B) Rita recently graduated at the top of her class from one of the best gynecologist hygiene programs in the state. Prior to becoming a gynecologist hygienist, Rita spent two years working in a day care center.
C) Sonia has worked as a gynecologist hygienist for three years in a public health clinic.She is very interested in securing a position in a private gynecologist office.
D) Kirti is an experienced and highly recommended gynecologist hygienist who is also finishing up a degree in early childhood education, which she hopes will get her a job as a preschool teacher. She is eager to find a job in a pediatric practice, since she has always wanted to work with children.
Answer: option (B)
The situation described indicates that Dr. Gupta’s practice presents some specific challenges, namely that it is a busy environment with a child clientele. There is also some indication that even highly recommended, experienced hygienists might not be cut out for Dr. Gupta’s office. Rita with her hands-on experience working with children as well as a degree from a prestigious gynecologist’s hygiene program is the most attractive candidate for the position based on the situation described.
10. Mrs. Sharma recently moved to Agra. She wants to fill her new backyard with flowering plants. Although she is an experienced gardener, she isn’t very well-versed in what plants will do well in the Agra climate. Also, there is a big tree in her backyard making for shady conditions and she isn’t sure what plants will thrive without much direct sunlight. Her favorite gardening catalog offers several backyard seed packages. Which one should Mrs. Sharma choose?
A) The Rainbow collection is ideal for North-eat gardens. It includes a variety of colorful perennials that thrive in cool, moist conditions.
B) The Greenhouse collection will blossom year after year if planted in brightly lit locations and watered regularly.
C) The Tree house collection will provide lush green plants with delicate colorful flowers that thrive in shady and partially shady locations.
D) The Oasis collection includes a variety of perennials that thrive in dry climates and bright sunlight.
Answer: option (C)
The Tree house collection is the only package that can thrive in shady locations. Choice Arequires a Northeastern climate. Choice B and D require a bright sunlight.