C programming tutorial
- C is an ANSI/ISO standard and powerful programming language for developing real time applications. C programming language was invented by Dennis Ritchie at the Bell Laboratories in 1972. It was invented for implementing UNIX operating system.
- C programming is most widely used programming language even today. All other programming languages were derived directly or indirectly from C programming concepts. C programming is the basis for all programming languages.
- This C programming tutorial explains all basic concepts in C like history of C language, data types, keywords, constants, variables, operators, expressions, control statements, array, pointer, string, library functions, structures and unions etc.
This C programming tutorial is designed for the new learners, students and also for the corporate level developers who want to learn and refresh their C programming skills.
C programming tutorial topics:
C programming history:
The C language is a structure oriented programming language, was developed at Bell Laboratories in 1972 by Dennis Ritchie. C language features were derived from an earlier language called “B” (Basic Combined Programming Language – BCPL). C language was invented for implementing UNIX operating system….more…
C programming basics:
Steps to be followed for any C program to create and get the output are explained . This is common to all C programs and there is no exception, whether its a very small C program or very large program. Structure of a C program is defined by a set of rules called protocol, to be followed by programmer while writing a C program…more…
C – printf and scanf:
printf() and scanf() functions are inbuilt library functions in C which are available in the C library by default. These functions are declared and related macros are defined in “stdio.h” which is a header file. We have to include “stdio.h” file as shown in below C program to make use of these printf() and scanf() library functions….more…
C – Data Types:
C data types are defined as the data storage format that a variable can store a data to perform a specific operation. Data types are used to define a variable before using in a program. Size of variable, const and array are determined by data types. There are four data types in the C language. They are….more…
C – Tokens and keywords:
C tokens, Identifiers and Keywords are the basics in a C program. All are explained in this page with definition and simple example programs. C tokens are the basic building blocks in C language which are constructed together to write a C program. Each program element in a C program is given a name called identifiers….more…
C – Constants:
C Constants are also like normal variables. But, the only difference is, their values can’t be modified by the program once they are defined. Constants refer to fixed values. They are also called as literals. Constants may be belonging to any of the data type….more…
C – Variables:
C variable is a named location in a memory where a program can manipulate the data. This location is used to hold the value of the variable. The value of the C variable may get changed in the program. The C variable might be belonging to any of the data types like int, float, char etc….more…
C – Operators and Expressions:
The symbols which are used to perform logical and mathematical operations in a C program are called C operators. These C operators join individual constants and variables to form expressions. Operators, functions, constants and variables are combined together to form expressions….more…
C – Decision Control statements:
In decision control statements (C – if else and nested if), group of statement is executed when the condition is true. If the condition is false, then, else part statements are executed. In C programming, there are 3 types of decision making control statements in C language. They are….more…
C – Loop control statements:
Loop control statements in C programming are used to perform looping operations until the given condition is true. Control comes out of the loop statements once the condition becomes false. There are 3 types of loop control statements in C language. They are….more…
C – Case control statements:
The statements which are used to execute only specific block of statements in a series of blocks are called case control statements. There are 4 types of case control statements in C programming. They are 1) switch 2) break 3) continue 4) goto….more…
C – Type Qualifiers:
The keywords which are used to modify the properties of a variable are called type qualifiers. There are two types of qualifiers available in C programming. They are 1) const 2) volatile. Constants are also like normal variables….more…
C – Storage Class Specifiers:
Storage class specifiers in C programming tell the compiler where to store a variable, how to store the variable, what is the initial value of the variable and the lifetime of the variable. There are 4 storage class specifiers available in C language. They are….more…
C – Array:
C Array is a collection of variables belongings to the same data type. You can store group of data of the same data type in an array. There are 2 types of arrays in C programming. They are 1) One dimensional array 2) Multidimensional array….more…
C – String:
C Strings are nothing but array of characters ended with null character (‘\0’). This null character indicates the end of the string. In C programming, strings are always enclosed by double quotes. Whereas, character is enclosed by single quotes in C…more…
C – Pointer:
C Pointer is a variable that stores/points the address of the other variable. C Pointer is used to allocate memory dynamically, i.e. at run time. The variable might be any of the data types such as int, float, char, double, short etc. Normal variable stores the value, whereas pointer variable stores the address of the variable….more…
C programming tutorial with example programs:
C – for, while and do while Example Programs
C – switch, break, continue and goto Example Programs
C – auto, static, extern and register Example Programs
C - array Example Programs
C – string Example Programs
C – pointer Example Programs
C – function Example Programs
C – structure Example Programs
C – typedef Example Programs
C – union Example Programs
C – typecast Example Programs
C – undef and #define Example Programs
C – command line argument Example Programs
C – variable length argument Example Programs
C – malloc, calloc, realloc and free Example Programs
Real Time C Programming examples:
- When you complete this c programming tutorial, you can able to write real time C programs by your own. We are walking you through all topics in this c programming tutorial which are explained clearly even for very beginners for C programming.
- We have given few real time application programs with output in this C tutorial.
Real time application and C programming examples for reference:
1. C program example – Real time Calculator program
2. C program example – Real time Bank Application program
C programming tutorial reference E-books & research papers:
- ANSI 89 – American National Standards Institute, American National Standard for Information Systems Programming Language C, 1989.
- Kernighan 78 – B. W. Kernighan and D. M. Ritchie, The C Programming Language, Prentice-Hall: Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1978. Second edition, 1988.
- Thinking 90 – C* Programming Guide, Thinking Machines Corp. Cambridge Mass., 1990.
Share this C Programming tutorial with your friends